Spring Open House Recipes - 2017
EASY CARAMEL DIP + HOW TO KEEP SLICED APPLES CRISPY FOR DAYS!
* 5 apples, sliced * 8 ounces caramel topping
* 8 ounces cream cheese, softened * 1/2 cup salted peanuts, chopped
* 1/2 cup powdered sugar * 1/2 cup Butterfinger bits
*In a medium bowl, whip cream cheese & powdered sugar together until smooth
*Spread the sweetened cream cheese into a thin layer on a plate or platter
*Pour caramel topping over the cream cheese, and then sprinkle with peanuts & Butterfinger bits
HOW TO KEEP SLICED APPLES CRISPY FOR DAYS!
To keep apples from turning brown: fill a large bowl with 2 quarts of water. Dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt into it. Soak your apple slices for 30 minutes and then drain the water and place the apples in a ZipLoc bag, removing as much air as you can. You can keep them in the fridge for 2-3 days (or more) without browning.
* 1 box chocolate cake mix FROSTING:
* 1 can cherry pie filling * 1 1/2 cup sugar * 6 tbsp. milk
* 4 eggs * 6 tbsp. butter * 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
*Mix cake mix, pie filling and eggs for 2 minutes. Pour into jelly roll sized pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until done.
* Bring sugar, butter and milk to boil. Boil 30 seconds. remove from heat and add chocolate chips. Beat until smooth and quickly frost brownies.
CLUB ROLL-UPS WITH BLT DIP
* 1 pkg BLT Dipsy Daisy Dip * Flour tortillas
* 1/2 cup shredded cheese
* 4 slices turkey deli meat
*Make dip mix according to package directions. Chop turkey meat into small pieces. The easiest way to do this is stack the pieces up and then roll them into a cigar shape. Cut into 1/4" slices and then cut slices into fourths. Add to the dip along with the shredded cheese. Spread a couple of tablespoons of the dip mix evenly onto each flour tortilla; leave 1/4" of the edge uncovered. Roll the tortilla shells up & wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least half an hour and up to overnight. Slice into 1" pieces and lay out on serving tray.
* 1 pint strawberries * 1/4 cup sugar
* 2 kiwi * 1/2 of a lemon
* 1 granny smith apple
* Remove caps from strawberries & peel kiwis and apple * Finely dice all fruit and mix together in a large bowl. * Add 1/4 cup sugar and juice from half of a lemon and mix thoroughly. * Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. This can be made a day ahead of time and refrigerate overnight.
Cinnamon Chips: we purchased ours at the open house...but here is another option:
* Melt 1/2 a stick of butter in the microwave * Lay our 6 tortillas & brush butter over them, covering them completely. * Mix 1 cup sugar and 1 to 2 Tbsp cinnamon together and sprinkle over tortillas covering completely. * Cut tortillas into wedges & arrange on the baking sheet. * Bake at 400 degrees for 7 minutes until crispy. Your house will smell amazing - or go to the grocery store and simplify your life :-)
BIRTHDAY CAKE DIP
* 1 - 8 ounce pkg of softened cream cheese
* 1 - 8 oz whipped topping
* 1 pkg of Birthday Cake Dip from Dipsy Daisy Dips (available at Heart 'n Home)
* Whip 1-8 oz. pkg. of softened cream cheese until smooth. Stir in contents of package and 1-8 oz. container of whipped topping. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
Can be served as a dip with animal or graham crackers, put into a graham cracker pie crust to serve as a dessert, as a frosting, or to spread on the crust for a fruit pizza.
* 2 pkgs (15 count each) mini fillo shells * 8 ounces cream cheese
* 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips * 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
* 10 ounces strawberries, divided * pinch salt
* Preheat over to 350 degrees. Divide chocolate chips in each of the shells. Place shells on a baking sheet & bake for 3-5 minutes. Cool. In a blender, puree 8 ounces of strawberries, reserving remaining strawberries for garnish. Add in cream cheese, confectioner's sugar and salt. Blend until just combined. Chill filling for 45 minutes, then pipe or spoon into shells. Garnish with strawberry slices.
LEMON CRUMB MUFFINS
* 3 cups all-purpose flour * 1/3 teaspoon salt * 1 cup butter, melter
* 2 cups sugar * 4 eggs * 1 1/2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
* 1/3 teaspoon baking soda * 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream * 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1/3 cup all-purpose flour * 1/3 cup sugar * 1/8 cup cold butter, cubed
*1/2 cup sugar * 1/3 cup lemon juice
* In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the eggs, sour cream, butter, lemon peel and juice. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full (we used mini muffin liners and pan)
* In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter.
* Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes our clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. In a small bowl, whisk glaze ingredients; drizzle over warm muffins.